Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mexican Wedding Cookies

I'm trying out recipes from a vegan cook book - "The Joy of Vegan Baking"" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.  This cookie recipe caught my eye right away - My mom used to make these Mexican Wedding Cookies - but she would make them into little crescents.  I only made half a batch (some bad luck in the baking department lately got me a little oven shy)... I did a few replacements: almonds instead of pecans, agave nectar instead of sugar, and whole wheat flour versus white.  For me a good recipe is one that does well with substitutions - I cannot help myself but make them - this was a good recipe.  These little balls of joy are bite sized (at least for my husband), melty in the mouth and easy to make; a little bit like shortbread.  I will definitely do this recipe again.

Very easy - (1) blend sugar & earth balance, (2) add the rest of the ingredients (note: I put the nuts in my food processor), (3) Use your hands to make them into little balls - place on cookie sheet with wax paper (wax side down), (4) bake 30 minutes at 300 F, (5) while they are still hot add the icing sugar to a bowl and roll them around (tip: I used tongs to set them on a tray after rolled), (6) eat 'em up!


1 comment:

  1. OMG!! These Mexican wedding cookies looks adorable and delicious too. Would love to have these luscious ones for my big day that will be arranged at one of NYC wedding venues. Surely everyone will love them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete